The process of electromechanical product development has always been complex due to the collaboration of multiple design domains such as ECAD and MCAD. However, the integration of ECAD and MCAD has become easier than ever with MECODES – a unique solution for collaboration between CATIA and ECAD software using the EDMD protocol (IDX).
But what does that mean for you as a CATIA user? Here are some of the benefits of using MECODES.
Benefits of using MECODES
1. Improved collaboration between ECAD and MCAD teams
MECODES’ integrated ECAD/MCAD approach allows for errors to be detected early and easily in the design process, designs adjusted, and results validated in minutes. This saves you time and resources by streamlining the design process and reducing the need for manual corrections.
2. 3D Visualization
MECODES allows for 3D visualization of the design from ECAD software to be imported into CATIA V5 and CATIA 3DEXPERIENCE. Result is a quick and clear understanding of how all electrical and mechanical components physically interact. This helps designers to detect errors and adjust designs quickly, saving time and resources.
3. Specialized Features
MECODES has several specialized features that improve productivity, save time, and maximize CATIA (MCAD) and ECAD software collaboration in one environment. These features include:
- ECAD/MCAD library integration: MECODES has a common PCB library management system, which represents the key element in the ECAD/MCAD collaboration.
- ECAD parameters visible in CATIA tree: The richness of the stored PCB data allows MECODES enabled clients on the MCAD side to show a full picture of the ECAD model within the workspace of CATIA V5 or 3DEXPERIENCE.
- Copper traces visibility: New algorithms for faster traces generation (as surface or solid) are based on the EDMD protocol. Copper planes (including internal layers) are also supported.
- Multilayer PCB design with ODB++: PCB layer stackup with the exact dimension of the copper vias and traces are transferred into the mechanical model which allows accurate simulations and creates real results.
- Clash analysis: MECODES ensures that all PCBs fit predefined mounting constraints and all distance rules between different kinds of electrical and mechanical components.
- Transaction history: The documented transaction history and the associated designed models allow for “what-if” analysis to be successfully performed to optimize the required product properties and performance.
In conclusion, MECODES offers unique benefits that can significantly improve your mechatronic design workflow, whether you are working on simple components or complex versions of product models. By unifying electromechanical product development workflows and incremental design changes with ECAD tools from Siemens, Cadence or Altium, and MCAD tools from Dassault Systèmes: CATIA V5 and 3DEXPERIENCE, MECODES improves efficiency, innovation, and time to market by simplifying engineering change processes, last-minute design changes, and repurposing/reusing designs for new projects.